Friday, March 24, 2006

They're not real bright

It's true. Hazel and I call these cherub-like creatures 'nature's idiots' or 'iddies' for short.

Most Australians call them galahs. But I once saw a bedraggled, caged specimen at San Diego zoo behind a tin sign which read 'rose-breasted parrot'.

When she was a kid, my sister called them 'town birds' - they love the suburbs, you see. Trouble is, iddies also love wheat fields, and so farmers hate iddies.

These two cuties were sprung fanging grass seeds today in Hilton Park, Fremantle, Western Australia.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At Thursday, May 15, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, the rosies are so pretty. It's inconceivable to me that there are places where cockies fly free and are considered pests. Here we can only see them as pets (and not very common ones at that) or in zoos. It's probably a good thing I don't have a flock of cockatoos in my yard though. lol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home